Theoretical Meteorology deals with the description and analysis of atmospheric processes by means of mathematical and physical methods. Based on fundamental physical axiomatic statements, mathematical equation systems are derived describing the atmospheric thermo-hydrodynamic processes. These equations are transformed into numerical algorithms so that computational simulations of atmospheric processes can be performed.
Our groupThe main focus of the research activities within the working group Theoretical Meteorology lies on
- Development of parameterization schemes for precipitating clouds
- Numerical simulation of fog events
- Development of numerical algorithms describing the transport of atmospheric trace gases
- Description of the interactions atmosphere - land surface
- Atmospheric chemistry
- Detailed simulations of cloud microphysical processes
This document last modified on: November 4, 2011.